Author: Jeremy Teeuwsen

Well Kim’s parents have come and gone. It was good to see them and we had some good times chatting. I should have some pictures for you tomorrow.

Last night turned out to be a bit of an interesting one though. I was back in our room getting ready for bed after just finishing lock up and making sure people where in there beds when I heard this whistle. My first thought was that some of the students must be out side or whistling out of their window, but thought it is probably ok I will just wait. Then I heard more and more whistling. So I headed out on our balcony to see what the deal was and all I saw was Will walking by and then back to his hut. I asked him what was up and he said he didn’t know and couldn’t see and was going to get some light. I through on my pants and shirt to go see who was causing the problem. When I got down stairs will called me to hurry over and in his arms was a brand new baby deer. His dog Lissi had stolen it from the mother dear, who had just given birth to it behind the lecture hall, and carried it across the property and was kind of burying it in some dirt. Lissi didn’t hurt the deer at all and it was kind of hard to figure out what she was up to. So we were going to try and drop the deer off where Will thought it was born, but there was no deer around anywhere and it was freezing cold outside. So, in the end we just kept it in our room for the night so that it wouldn’t freeze and so that nothing would attack it while it was unprotected. At first it was cool having this tiny little deer in our room and then about 4:00 in the morning when it still wasn’t sleeping the coolness hard warn off. By time the morning came around I hadn’t slept all that much and neither had the deer. It did some how learn to walk during the night and was cruising around our room looking for a place to hide. We went to the police station to tell them that we had a wild life problem, but they told us just to take it to the vet or what ever… seeing as we didn’t know what we did we called the local deer farmer and later that morning they came and got the deer, but not before we got a couple of pictures.

Baby Deer by my hiking boots

Baby Deer with Kim

Leave a Reply